"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."~Romans 8:28

Our Family

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Blast from the Past

Ok, I can't believe I'm sharing some of these pictures... But hey, it's good to remember the past! I had a fantastic childhood, even if I did have a mullet for most of it! My Mom has started going through old photos so that we can scan/organize/frame them, and here is just a taste of what I was able to scan when we went to visit...

Nobody wears hats like this anymore...

My sister, Clarice

My Mom (please don't hurt me for posting this!)

My brother and sister.

My Dad's parents; Maw & Paw

Our "Beaty Salon; Open 24 Hours a Day"

I was probably about 2.5 or 3, and my brother was not quite 1 or close to it.

I think my Aunt & Uncle brought this outfit back from Indonesia. They lived there for as long as I can remember, then moved back to the states right after I graduated from HS, I think.

This was the first house that I grew up in. My grandparents actually built it. Then we moved into a rent house while our other land was being cleared (by us; child labor!). Then we moved into the shop building that was built next to where the house was being built. Yes, it was cement floors, plywood walls, storage on top, tractor/4 wheeler next to the dining table, my sister and I sharing a room that was about 7x6. I can't complain, though. I had some great times there, and it has shaped my character in ways I never would have imagined.

My Dad & my sister

Evan does this to Aubrie! I'm always afraid that he's going to squish her, but kids have been doing it for a while, I guess!

I used to carry that bottle of Avon bubbles around; I thought it was the coolest thing!

We went to see the Nutcracker at Christmas for as long as I remember. My Mom says it was only 3 or 4 times, but I promise it seems like we went like 12 times!

Aren't I cute?! Mullet and everything!

This was a pic from Mother's Day Out

I played the violin in the 2nd grade, and really liked it! Well, I didn't like practicing all that much, but I liked playing the violin! I wish I'd stuck with it. But one day, I WILL learn how to play the cello!

My brother and I used to fight over this fold out bed in our camper. Finally I had to give it up because I got so big that I'd bump my head if I even tried to roll over! Then our camper was stolen, so it didn't matter anyway!

I can't believe that we are alive after taking this picture. My Dad rigged this up for us kids to be able to sprawl out on one of the car trips we took. All there is between us and the highway is that little latch that closes the camper in the back... As a kid I thought it was SO cool, but now as a Mom I'm cringing!

Playing softball for the Red Hots

My sister and I entered Santa Fe's Heritage Festival beauty contest when I was in 4th grade, and I actually won! My sister didn't place because she kept changing her answers and correcting the MC, then gritting her teeth instead of smiling; so cute! Of course, right after this contest, my hair was cut to look like a q-tip (no kidding)... and there will be no pictures posted of that. I think I've burned them all (at least in my mind!).

I like this pic of my siblings. It was hard to get a picture of my brother without a silly look on his face!

My sister with my Mom's Dad; Pawpaw.

Another cute pic of my siblings; Clay and Clarie.

When you're the oldest, sometimes you just gotta keep the others in line, you know.

I like how my sister is in the background; it looks like she's saying, "Why can't I go?!" or "Where you think you're goin?!"

My Dad with my Pawpaw's Dad; Great Granddad from Henderson.

A family pic before my sister was adopted (haha, just joking, Clarie!). We actually had her convinced once that she was adopted, and it didn't help when my Mom couldn't find her birth certificate! We also had her convinced that she was 1 year older than she actually was... She was so easy!

This is in Percilla, Tx at my Pawpaw's house. We LOVED going to visit this place. The boy on the right is my Mom's half brother, my uncle, who is 4 months younger than me. That kinda sounds like our kids right now: Technically, our kids could be half brother & sister to Aiden since Chris and Nick have identical DNA... weird, huh?!


I love this pic.

Wasn't I cute?! Aubrie looks just like me in this pic, I think.

This is the first time I ever remember seeing snow, and I'm not sure that actually counts as snow... It was enough to make some snowballs, though! I even remember throwing one down my Mom's shirt, on accident!

My Mom, me, and my brother, Clay.

Huntsville State Park. We used to go every summer with all of our cousins on my Dad's side. I have some great memories from that place! My brother looks so little here!

Don't know what we were doing here!!! Oh, and I think my bathing suit is on inside-out...

There were a TON more pictures, so I'll try to post some of them as I go through and scan them. It's so much fun to look through the pictures and remember what it was like to be a kid!

3 comments:

M & M said...

Love the reminiscing...a better understanding of who Kim is!

And just like me, you have hardly changed a bit from childhood!

Perhaps I will have to do this sometime too...

scrapbooker210 said...

Kim.... these are too funny to look at! It was amazing how much the hairstyles that you had as a kid were like mine. My husband laughs at them everytime he sees them! Past time pictures are always the best, though!

Judyn said...

I loved looking at all of these. Ive heard most of these stories, so it was fun "seeing" the incident. Miss you!